The $20 Makeup Challenge for the Holidays: Here's my Take!

4:30 PM






Christmas may be over, but there's still a lot of holiday gatherings and NYE parties to attend for sure - how about putting together a full makeup look on a a super budget? Sara and I decided to put on this fun holiday take on the popular $20 makeup challenge (see her post here) - see my choices below!

BASE - $3.50


I normally use Estee Lauder DoubleWear BB Glow in shade 3.5, but since I'm running out and didn't really feel like coughing up $36.00, I scouted the brands over at Walgreens for a suitable replacement. I found the Revlon Age Defying CC Cream, normally at $13.99, for a very cool $3.50. Score! 

Ultimate verdict: this line only has four shades, so you wouldn't really have diverse options. It does have SPF30 and all the benefits you would expect from your tinted moisturizer, and for the price I paid for it, I'm pretty happy. The coverage didn't last as long and it wasn't as dewy as my old favorite, but I already expected that.


CHEEKS AND CONTOUR - $3.70


I've heard nothing but very, very good things about the Revlon Photoready Skinlights Face Illuminator line - I think they really pioneered this where drugstore brands are concerned. I normally use... a smattering of many things to highlight and contour ( I blame IG for this!), but when I saw these makeup artist favorites on clearance from $13.49 to $3.70 - again, another major score! - I quickly snatched up both Bronze Lights (dark, warm toned) and Peach Lights (corally-gold light toned). I worked it under my cheekbones for a very natural contour and glow.

Verdict: It's worth the hype! You can work this not just on your face but on the rest of your body as well. 


LIPS - $1.29

Matte liquid lipsticks are all the rage now, because they are awesome (well some brands are). I'm loyal to NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams right now, but I know other lines out there are better (like Colourpop, which I have yet to try). When I saw some colors from the Rimmel Show Off Lip Velvet line go on clearance for $1,29, I knew I had to try them. This shade is called "Meteoric Matte", which is a gorgeous, vibrant warm-toned plum - perfect for a holiday lip!

Verdict: I LOVE, LOVE this line and this color. Consistency, staying power, color - this is everything and the fact that I got it for that price makes me a happy camper!


EYES - $2.00

I always walk away with random makeup stuff whenever I visit Dollar Tree, and during my last trip I walked away with the Milani Shadow Eyez 12 HR Eyeshadow Stick in Brown Deluxe and this LA Colors Ultimate Liquid Eyeliner. HUGE fan of Milani here, and I like eyeshadow sticks for their ease of use, so I thought this was a great score.

Verdict: Milani did not disappoint with this product. It works just as well as any department store eyeshadow stick (like Clinique's Chubby Stick for Eyes line), but hello, one dollar! (regularly they're around $6, though.). The liquid liner I'm not a fan of, and I will gladly go back to my trusty Kat von D Tattoo Liner any day now. 




So there you go, a full-on holiday look for a whopping $10.49. How crazy is that?! My main takeaway from this experience is that in a sea of Tom Fords and YSLs and all the covetable makeup brands, it's still very easy to put together an awesome look for a budget. You may say you NEED that fancy contour kit or face primer in your life (which I'm guilty of lol), but sometimes, dialing it down is your best bet and really, you don't NEED all that. Just in case you need to put in more money for that dream vacay or handbag you really covet. Just saying. ;)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

let your good thoughts come out and play. write away!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

missdressshop.co.uk MissDressShop. 7000+Selection, Global Ship.

Subscribe