Emanuel Ungaro SS 09: Carnival of Colors

9:00 PM



Surprisingly, living in the tropics has always pushed and encouraged me to live vicariously through others in terms of fashion-- and by that, I mean usually loving things that aren't climate or colour-appropriate under the 37-degree heat. I look on to other fashion bloggers like Karla and Jane who just love piling up the layers and loving the black tones and the neutrals.. just like I have, well, whenever I can get away with it. I go for the tweeds and the wools and the pleathers whenever allowed.. crazy, I know, but it fits who I am personally.




Stereotypically, people foreign to the tropics would expect to see the locals always decked out in huge gaudy florals and those overrated smock dresses (not that there's really anything wrong with the latter). I'm ALWAYS insulted when i see foreign men in long socks with loud and kitschy flower shirts. ALWAYS! just coz' you're in the tropics does not equate to getting away with that faux pas. That said, my wardrobe doesn't necessarily need to be abreast with the stereotypes of heat, thank you very much.





And then i did an SS redux and re-encountered Esteban Cortezar for Ungaro... and I was floored, did a double-take. It was the tropics done absolutely right-- short flouncy dresses, the right bursts of jewel tones, loose but flattering silhouttes, sexy caftans and maxis... I know, I know, it's all been done before, but he does it SO WELL. Takes me right back to Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Girl from Ipanema"... that said, I will definitely be more flexible with my tropical wardrobe this time around.:)






p.s. still awaiting for my camera's diagnostic. X_X. will keep you posted.


photos courtesy of Style.com

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. I really like how each outfit was accessorized, especially with those amazing hats :)

    xoxo Isabella Clarisse xoxo
    www.tasteoffashionkar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love esteban! hope to see more great stuff from him for emanuel ungaro!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the last dress.. was gonna make something similar for the summer to wear on the beach but maybe that will get me a little more attention than I am prepared for.

    Yes yes I am a cebuana, was born there, and my family has a restaurant there. I used to model for Phillip Rodriguez when I was younger.. I plan to go back to Cebu maybe towards the end of the year to apprentice, we have such amazing designers in Cebu no?

    I am adding you to my blogroll by the way.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our restaurant is called BEEHIVE, Its on F.Ramos and is one of the oldest restaurants in cebu, over 50 years old. I go back to Cebu every now and then, the last time I was there was last Christmas, but I rarely go out except for the occasional obligatory stop at Vudu. I left the Cebu scene a long time ago and I miss everyone but have mostly falled out of touch with them.. but I do believe that the fashion scene is getting better and better there, Cebuanos are crazy talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello there lovey, thanks for your absolutely wonderful comment! yes lets sway links, i'll put yours on my website now.
    Rianna Bethany xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i totally understand about hating middle age tourist outfits. I travel a lot and I'm always grinding my teeth and pointing out bad styles to my brother...."no matthew those white tennis shoes are not aceptable" Hahah
    XOXXO
    Libby
    http://fashionconfectionairy.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, my dear, these pics made my day. Love love love this whole collection. The drape, the perfection of the 'tropic' outfit, the perfect accessorisation....it all adds up to sheer perfection!

    thanks for sharing :)

    have a fab weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. let's do it!


    what a perfect runway show to post on your blog, haha. i love the ease of tropical dressing. i live, oh, probably about a 48 hour-drive from a beach? hahahaha. living in the middle of the US sucks. =]

    that little blue dress & the fedora? mmmmiwilltakeitplease

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the two tunic dresses! so fun, flirty and feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG those dresses are to die for huh? :).. Its so beautiful. By the way soooo sorry on what happened to your cam. I hope they could still fix it.

    Anyway I already added u on my list. Take care gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous collection. I love the hats but I'm not sure they go with EVERY outfit but I admire that there's a sense of continuity throughout! But yes, the dresses are amazing - definitely on a wish list for the summer holidays haha. Well I can draw inspiration from them at least!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What amazing choices from the collection. Those dresses/ Outfits make me think of like the islands and tropics; since the use of bright colors. It also reminds me of the way people would like to dress if they came to miami.

    OO btw: I think it would be great to exchange links. I just added you to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome fashion. Glad to have found your blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. that turquoise body con dress is to die for. :) GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's all so great.
    I love it.
    Great choices for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful designes, I like them all :-)
    And the last dress is really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! soooo pretty, i want it all!!!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

let your good thoughts come out and play. write away!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

missdressshop.co.uk MissDressShop. 7000+Selection, Global Ship.

Subscribe